Child Labour in India
According to the International Labour Organisation, Child labor is defined as" children who participate in a work that doesn't affect their health and personal development or interfere with their schooloing, is not a child labor rather it may be generally regarded as being something positive".
Child labor is illegal exploitation of children below the age 18. It is a cognizable criminal offense. Indian Child Labor (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, 1986 and subsequent amendment of CLPR Act1986 prohibits employing children below the age of 14. Children under the age of 14 even should not be employed as domestic help. However, children between 14 and 18 categorized as ‘adolescent’ and can be employed if it does not violate the Factories Act, 1948.
Child labor is a bane to any country. It is a shameful practice and rampant more in developing and underdeveloped countries. Child labor is a hot topic in India among intellectual communities and political circles; still this social evil is seamlessly being practiced in our country, with the blessing of bureaucracy and political patronage. It is high time to eradicate child labor from our society and punish the unscrupulous people who have been continuing the evil practice.
Reasons for child labor:
1. Increasing growth in rate of population.
2. Cronic poverty.
3. Illiterarcy and ignorance of parents.
5. Willingness to exploit the children's by the employees.
6. Increasing unemployment in the rural and urban areas.
7. Lack of effective enforcement of child welfare legislations and schemes.
Solutions for child labor:
1. The child labor laws need to be strictly enforce by government agencies.
2. The general public or common people need to be made aware of the consequences of the child labor.
3. An increase employment opportunity for adults would help in over coming the problem of the child labor. Government should ensure tht every child would get opportunity to go to school.
The owners of factories and mines should take the pledge of not engaging child labor in their place of bussiness.